Once upon a time I made the Wonky Blanket. It has bugged me a lot trying to figure out why mine came out so weird when everyone else has no issues. Now, when I first started the blanket, I didn't want to carry things around so I drew out a picture of the blanket and put the stitch and row numbers on it and only had that with me. This means, I didn't really look too much at the pattern beyond that first time.
A few weeks ago I finally went back to the instructions to figure it out. Well here's an important lesson.... there's a very big difference between "Knit 36 garter ridges" and "Knit 36 garter rows". In garter stitch, a ridge is two rows. I was counting rows, not ridges. This also explains why mine was coming out so much smaller that I had to add color blocks.....
At least the mystery is solved