Tuesday, October 14, 2008

wow...

... I didn't realize it has been so long since I posted. Sorry no pictures.

I've had some busy weekends and evenings, school starting up means making sure homework is done and I've been trying to go to the gym.

  • I guess that can be my first bullet point, I joined a local gym and I like it, they are new and the people that go are very diverse. People who are just trying to lose weight, some who are doing physical therapy, some who are really into weight training. The owner is really sweet and always yells hello when she sees me come in, she also introduces everyone to each other. Best of all, the cardio machines all have individual televisions so you can watch tv OR download tv shows to your iPod, hook the iPod to the machine and watch those. I've actually been on the cardio for 40 minutes since that's how long it takes to watch a downloaded episode of Stargate Atlantis or Doctor Who.
  • Second, I'm very proud of my kid. The past few years have been a challenging experience for us. First figuring out that he read poorly so he went to Sylvan and that helped. Then last school year was all about learning how to study and how to plan. This year I'm working to be more hands-off and he's working to be more responsible for his own work. I have to say I'm amazed, he's really coming into his own this year. He's getting a reasonable amount of homework done (if not all of it) before I even pick him up. He's studying for tests on his own and maybe not getting super grades but he's being responsible and he's not failing. He signed up for homework club and quick math facts on his own. (he's great at math, but slow on timed tests for fact memorization) His mid-term progress report came home and so far he's doing well. I know it's early but the attitude so far this year is wonderful to see.
  • Third, I've been knitting but not as much. (gym time used to be knitting time). And the couple small things I've finished recently are gifts that I don't want to post pictures for yet in case they are seen too early. But I've got to start packing stuff to mail!! I am planning to start the Knotty or Knice socks soon. I already translated the chart into index cards but I haven't wound the yarn yet. Maybe this weekend.
  • Fourth, son got to play D&D with my friends this weekend and it seemed to go pretty well. He was happy about it and wants to go again. This means I might actually get to start seeing this group of friends more often again. At least until they remember that I'm a pain *grin*
  • Lastly, I have yarn coming and Namaste Messenger bag in Chocolate Mauve. Pretty, Pretty!! I've been eyeing up this bag for a couple months now and finally gave in and ordered it from The Loopy Ewe. When I ordered, I also ordered two yarns, one from Perfect Day Yarns (Blustery Day) and the other from Chameleon Colorworks (October). I can't wait for them to get here!

I think that's all the major things, I'm sure I'm forgetting something since it's been so long. Next time I'll try for pictures too!

-Dfly

4 comments:

Suna Kendall said...

Good to hear from you again. My son with school issues is doing better this year, too. Maybe it's cause they cut off their hair braid thingies... :-)

Kelly said...

Gratz on all accounts! I need to join a gym one day. :)

I am looking into a second job. I want to save some money.. and gives me something to do. :)

Lee said...

I’m glad you haven’t been blogging. <wink /> I haven’t had any time to read blogs this month. So now I don’t feel guilty.

Also, kudos on the extra 10 minutes on the cardios by watching TV. I haven’t seen anything other than an occasional football game that comes on earlier than the Daily Show.

Good to hear from you again, and I’m glad life is going so well.

Veeg said...

Yay! on the school progress, on the gym-going, and on the Namaste bag (okay, more "jealous" than "yay," but also "yay.")

Do you still do get-togethers to knit?